Pages

Friday, December 20, 2013

What I Know for Sure...

Do you ever feel something so passionately that words cannot even begin to express the magnitude of the emotions? I do. And I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out the extreme power that art has in my life. After reading piles of books, taking classes, and listening to hours of podcasts I know these three things for sure.

1. Artwork = Soulwork...
Creating artwork, for me, isn't always about the end result. It's about what I learn along the way. It's about the connection to myself and something so much bigger than me. I really feel creating, particularly painting, is a form of prayer or meditation. It takes me into a zone where time stands still and nothing else matters but the task at hand.

2. Without Art there is Suffering...
Thanks to Brene' Brown for putting this into words. I've always known that creating brings me happiness. But, if you really think about it since the beginning of time humans have created for survival. It's in or DNA. All forms of art including crafts, gardening, cooking, etc. give a sense of pride, accomplishment, and fulfillment.

3. We are Born Creative...
Children express their artistic abilities freely with little inhibitions. They begin to lose confidence when people critique and compare their artwork. They start second guessing their ideas. Eventually, they begin to censor everything. This is where creativity and amazing ideas are lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment