Pages

Thursday, December 19, 2013

5 Things I Learned when Experimenting with Dyes...

 
 
I picked up some cheap fabric and a really cool dye kit, with the intention to paint some scarves. I've had experience painting on fabric, but never with these dyes. And I wanted to paint on the scarves kind of like I have been in my sketch books... expressive, intuitive, with writing, and lots of patterns and texture. I had a spare 30 minutes before going to my nephew's basketball game. So, I went for it. And I learned a lot.


 

1. Stretch the fabric!!! I was in a hurry and didn't, big mistake. The fabric moves around everywhere and folds and creases. I did like some of the texture it added, but it mixed the colors too much and I was getting mud!!!

2. Let the background dry!!! Just like any other painting, let the background dry before adding designs, texture, and stamping. Again, you just get mud!!!

3. Wet the entire fabric before you begin painting!!!  The directions said to paint with water before painting with dye. I know, I can't believe I actually read the directions, so not like me. But, instead dunk in water ahead of time, less mess.

4. Iron the fabric!!! The wrinkles make it difficult to paint over.

5. Create Contrast!!! Use a resist in the beginning to create white splatters and designs.

I'm looking forward to the weekend. When I'll have time to focus on some scarves!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment