Pages

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Top 10 Art Room Management Tricks

I always compare teaching art to being a cocktail waitress in a beehive. Imagine... 35 kindergarteners on the first day of art It's very hectic, messy, and your customers are pretty needy. I teach PreK through third grade. I believe that you have to teach students how to not only treat you, but your procedures and routines. When you do this you can actually get a lot accomplished in the 50 minute class once a week. Here are a few of the most important things I've learned over the last 8 years. These classroom management techniques have made me truly enjoy teaching, and have helped me keep my sanity, most days. I hope you find them helpful.



1. Be Prepared... I know this is not new information. But, if you want to have a smooth class that the kids and you enjoy, over do it. Are all the supplies ready and on tables? Is my demo ready? Do I need extra resources or the smartboard ready? What to do if you get done early? What's clean up going to look like? Are you prepared for kids with special needs?

2. Organize Art in Table Folders... Each table has their own folder. Inside the folder is the students personal folder in which they store their artwork. This, not only, saves time, but reduces lost artwork.

3. Keep Intro Short and Exciting... When I first began teaching I wanted to cram in as much info as possible. At the end of class, all the info was lost. Instead I pick a few key points that correlate to my grade level expectations. And I use those key points over and over and over again throughout the class. My intro usually takes at most 10 minutes. And do whatever it takes to transition them into your classroom and get them excited about being  in the art room. Sing, dance, dress up in costume, use silly voices, etc.

4. 5 points... Classes can earn 5 points per class by 1. Entering quiet 2. Listening 3. Following Directions 4. Being Respectful 5. Clean Up and Exiting Quietly. The class with the most points in that grade level gets a party and a traveling trophy to hang outside their classroom. It's kind of a big dea!

5. One Warning... I see students once a week for 50 minutes, there is no time to waste. So, I have a very strict policy of giving students one warning. Then, the student moves to the safe seat, where they can continue working on their project. I have been very consistent with this for about 5 years. The kids are all aware of the one and only warning. In turn, I have very few discipline problems.

6. Verbal Cues... can be used to get students attention and for transitions. I've used it all from bells to clapping to flashing peace signs. Right now, I'm using some clapping and chanting to show students the "next step" or "clean up." My recommendation is to find something the students can participate in.

7. 10 Minute Quiet Time... The structure of my class is always the same: Intro/Rev, Demo, Guided Practice, Independent Practice. For the older students, when we begin independent practice, we also begin 10 minute quiet time. This 10 minutes allows students to get fully engaged in the project. But, it also, allows me time to check for understanding and assist any students who are in need. This came out of  necessity. Now kids are completing more projects with more success, and it helps with my sanity.

8. When I Say Go... When I give directions it always goes like this. "When I say go you have 10 seconds to put your name on your paper and then smile at me. Go!!!" I always ask them to smile at me when they have it done, so they are not screaming out "I'm Done." Again, just trying to save my sanity.

9. Clean Up... Consistency is key. No matter what medium we are working in, it always goes like this: 1. Stop working 2. Put tools away 3. Put artwork away 4. Clean area 5. Sit quietly. I always set a timer. If the place isn't cleaned up in time, the class loses a point.

10. Table Competitions... Tables can earn points for positive behavior. The table with the most points at the end of class earns a prize. All the grades respond well, especially kindergarten. So stock up on stickers and treasure chest items because we could all use some help when it comes to kindergarten.

What would you add to this list?



No comments:

Post a Comment