Pages

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Revisiting Brave, Intuititve YOU


Over the summer, I took Flora Bowley's online class Brave, Intuitive You. The class was rich with luscious exercises in connecting with the painting process. My main goal of taking the class was to help ignite a creative habit. The very unexpected result of the class was the spiritual practice that I've incorporated in my day to day life through painting. I adore her paintings. After a few months of processing the info from the class, I realized there are a two things I really love about her paintings that I need to practice. First, I love how her colors almost melt into each other. Even when she's using contrasting colors it's as if they all just flow together. Secondly, her edging is phenomenal, crisp with character.

Above is my attempt to figure out melting colors and work on my edging. I treated it much like any artist study, observing her work. Therefore, the imagery is very Flora. But, I did figure out the blending colors a little bit, and will be experimenting with incorporating it into my own work. Now for the edging I think it's just going to take lots of practice.

4 comments:

  1. Kelly, I love the way you are experimenting with blending and edges. I see beautiful transitions in this piece where parts just flow together. I like some of the edging where the underpainting shows through! It adds some nice contrast to the piece. The repeating circles also help bring the piece together--"blending" in a way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sheila!! I've found the sponge is definitely my friend when it comes to blending the colors together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool idea! Wow, the blending looks great with the sponge. I usually just stick with a regular paint brush, but this seems like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been using sponges and my fingers for most of the blending these days. Thanks

    ReplyDelete