Pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

My Painting Playlist

My third graders are painting to music right now. I was talking to the kids about my personal experiences with painting to music. And I realized it really is a part of my creative practice. Plugging into my Pandora. Ear buds nestled securely into ears. Scrolling through my list of channels, trying a few to see if they fit my mood. Then, once I've found the one... I can begin preparing my palette, and finally paint.

I paint to music for a variety of reasons, but the top one is to quiet the voices in my head. To quiet those voices, I like it loud and typically upbeat, that's just me. But, I can't deny some days I'm feeling more zen and like something a little softer. So here is my top ten list of Pandora channels for painting in no particular order.

1. Gin Wigmore

2. The Black Keys

3. Florence and the Machine

4. Old Crow Medicine Show

5. The Rolling Stones

6. Michael Franti

7. Van Morisson

8. Bob Marley

9. One Republic

10. The 2 Cellos

Pretty funny now that I see it written down, because this is a lot like my workout playlist.

What do you listen to when creating?

No comments:

Post a Comment